Monday 3 June 2013

Comparison: OPI Germanicure, Every Month is Oktoberfest and Chanel Malice

Today's post is a comparison of some of my absolute favourite polishes from 2012, and actually these might be some of my favourites ever: Chanel Malice, and two from OPI - Germanicure and Every Month is Oktoberfest.  I've been meaning to dupe test these for a while, and you can see from this bottle shot why I thought they'd be pretty similar....

Chanel Malice, OPI Every Month Is Oktoberfest, OPI Germanicure - sunlight
L:R - Chanel Malice, OPI Every Month Is Oktoberfest, OPI Germanicure - sunlight
Malice was the limited edition Christmas release for 2012 from Chanel.  The OPI polishes - Every Month is Oktoberfest (EMIO) and Germanicure are part of the Fall 2012 'Germany' collection.  The Germany collection is my favourite OPI collection since the legendary Russia Fall collection in 2007.  I'm definately a Fall/Winter shades kind of girl, I much prefer vampy juicy Fall colours to insipid Spring pastels and these three polishes are right up my alley.

There is significant debate online about the similarity between the two OPI shades.  Germanicure has also been touted as a dupe for the HTF Malice.  So...on with the comparison!


Chanel Malice, OPI Every Month Is Oktoberfest, OPI Germanicure - sunlight
Chanel Malice (index finger), OPI Every Month Is Oktoberfest (middle), OPI Germanicure (ring finger) - sunlight
Immediately you can see that these couldn't be more different.  Malice is a lush blackened burgandy with incredible shimmer, EMOI has an inky violet base with golden fiery shimmer and Germanicure has a dusky brown base with golden fiery shimmer.  The in-bottle similarity of the OPI's I think is because the shimmer particles look the same to me, and its the base colour that differs.

Chanel Malice, OPI Every Month Is Oktoberfest, OPI Germanicure - articifial light
Chanel Malice (index), OPI Every Month Is Oktoberfest (middle), OPI Germanicure (ring) - articifial light
Pictured here I'm wearing one coat of Nail Envy as base, and two coats of each colour, with no top coat.  These polishes are beautifully glossy on their own.  The formula on the Chanel is incredible, this is pretty much a one-coater its so pigmented, but I'm a habitual two coater regardless.  No streaks, perfect leveling, top marks.  The OPI's are both pretty streaky on the first coat, but the second sorts that out completely for a smooth finish.

For giggles I then layered these with another firm favourite from 2012 - Fantasy Fire by Max Factor.  This is the ultimate layering polish - its too sheer to be much use on its own (it took 5 coats to get the in-bottle colour on my nails).  It's a violet base with pink, purple and gold shimmer particles.  So it layers brilliantly with any colour that has any of those three colours as a base....

Chanel Malice, OPI Every Month Is Oktoberfest, OPI Germanicure - layered with Fantasy Fire - sunlight
Chanel Malice (index), OPI Every Month Is Oktoberfest (middle), OPI Germanicure (ring) - all layered with one coat of Max Factor Fantasy Fire - sunlight
Phwoar! As if any of these shades needed something extra, the Fantasy Fire just gives these an extra edge of sparkle. 

For my manicure this week I picked my favourite and painted the rest to match: OPI EMOI with Fantasy Fire...love it! This is the fourth time I've used EMOI since I got it, which makes it officially my most used 2012 polish.  It's like they designed this one with me in mind.  Can't wait to see what OPI brings out this Fall!

Nail Envy (1 coat), OPI EMOI (2 coats), Max Factor Fantasy Fire (1 coat) and Seche Vite (1 coat)
OPI Every Month Is Oktoberfest - layered with Fantasy Fire - sunlight
OPI Every Month Is Oktoberfest - layered with Fantasy Fire - sunlight


OPI Every Month Is Oktoberfest - layered with Fantasy Fire - sunlight
OPI Every Month Is Oktoberfest - layered with Fantasy Fire - indirect sunlight
What were your favourite polishes of 2012? Do you wear Fall shades all year round or are you a seasonal girl?



2 comments:

  1. These are all so pretty and I love the addition of fantasy fire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) I first saw this combo on Caitlin's creative corner and loved it http://www.caitlinscreativecorner.com/2012/09/every-month-is-oktoberfest-with-fantasy.html?m=1

      Delete